Tuesday 5 July 2016

I'm Back in the Lake - finally!

I am feeling on quite a high after having an amazing swim in Lake Windermere this evening!  This is my first lake swim since my cycle accident 9 weeks ago and I must admit I felt very nervous when I first entered the water!

The last time I swam in the lake the water temperature was a chilly 9C, tonight it was a near tropical 18C although it was much choppier than I would have liked for my first swim back!

However, I was determined to succeed and tried not to let the waves bother me!

It felt fantastic to be back in the lake and before I knew it I had swum half a mile and we were heading back to the boathouse - this is when things got a little trickier!  I felt like I was swimming through treacle and didn't appear to be making any progress!  The direction of the chop was now holding me back and I had to put a lot more effort in to keep moving forward!

However, I persevered (not that I had much choice about it!) and dug deep to get back! 

I was chuffed to get back without experiencing any shoulder pain after swimming just under a mile in 40 minutes! You can view my swim here!

With only 42 weeks to go until The London Marathon I have already started raising money for Blackwell Sailing based on the shores of Lake Windermere! The charity provides sailing and some other outdoor activities to people with disabilities in Cumbria. They rely very much on volunteers and local support, and I am relying on you to help me to help them!! Please sponsor me by visiting my fundraising page here!








No comments:

Post a Comment