Sunday 20 March 2016

First Day of Spring ...

and a nice ride in the sun!

This morning I went out for another bike ride with my Cycling Buddy Wils.

We met in Kendal at 10.30am and I wasn't very impressed with the route he had in mind - straight up a hill!

I knew from this point  the sort of ride I had let myself in for but the sun was shining and life was good!

I was determined to not be a wuss and tried to keep up despite the hills putting a spanner in the works!

I was glad I had opted for less layers than last week as I was still hot!

After 20 miles we arrived in Orton and stopped at a cafe for a much deserved Cappuccino and cake!


It was at this point I was introduced to a little Gizmo by my friend -  a cleat cover!  I never knew they existed but Wils gifted me a pair so I am very happy!

No more tottering around trying not to slip!

After sitting in the sunshine chatting whilst enjoying coffee and cake it was very difficult to get back on my bike, especially since I had the challenge of Shap Fell to face!

I have been up and over Shap in the car many times but have never braved it on my bike - until today!

The ride up until this point had already been hilly and challenging so my legs were already feeling heavy and shaky!

I slowly but steadily made my way up and was amazed when I found myself at the top without dying or getting off and pushing! 



Once I was at the top it was all downhill home - Thankfully!  

I managed to get up to 33.8 MPH on the way down which is supersonic speed for me, the cautious one!

Altogether I did 40.1 very enjoyable miles! You can view my route here!





No comments:

Post a Comment