Saturday 26 March 2016

Bricking it!

Yesterday was a rest day as far as my training plan was concerned but I don't think my legs feel like they got much of a rest!

We went for a lovely 7 mile walk and conquered 2 Wainwrights - Stony Cove Pike and Hartsop Dodd! We decided to do these fells in the hope that we would avoid all the "Good Friday Tourists" that were swarming into the lakes for the only dry day over the Easter Weekend (according to the weather forecast!).

Anyhow, we picked well and didn't see anyone else whilst we were out!  Although it was dry it was exceptionally cold and very windy!


Then later on we went out to The Brewery in Kendal for a Blast from the past - Big Country were playing so after walking hills all day I danced the night away!

Consequently this morning my legs didn't feel the benefit of the "rest day"!

However, I had planned to do my first "Brick Session" of the season and nothing was going stop me - not even the wind!

I set off with a 13 mile bike route in mind but due to being battered around by the wind I decided to cut this short in order to live another day!  There were times when I really struggled to keep my bike on course!

In the end I did 8.91 miles at an average pace of 13.6 MPH, however pace was the last thing on my mind, just surviving was the primary goal!

Once home I put my bike in the garage, changed into my running trainers, stripped a couple of layers off, gulped a few mouthfuls of water and 1 minute 45 seconds later I was on my way running!

It's the first time I have worn my Tri Suit since last year and initially it felt like I was running in a nappy!

My legs felt heavy ... like bricks (Is that where they get the name from?) and I felt like I was really plodding and didn't seem to be making much headway in the wind.

However, I pushed on and didn't worry about the pace!  I just wanted to complete my first brick session!

I was shattered when I got home after running 3.85 miles at an average 8.37 minute mile pace! Much faster than I had expected! 

I am very pleased with that for my first brick of the year especially with tired legs and a hangover!





No comments:

Post a Comment