Monday 28 March 2016

A very windy ride and an epic fall!

This morning I went for a bike ride with my cycling buddy "Wils".

I was slightly nervous after looking at the weather forecast as we seemed to be on the cusp of "not too bad conditions" and "horrendous" but I wasn't not going to go!

We had a route in mind but we had to do some quick alterations when we came across a couple of "Road Closed" signs due to bridges damaged during the December floods!  

It was like going on a magical mystery tour as neither of us were familiar with the roads we were on! It added a new dimension to the ride and being with someone else I wasn't as concerned about getting lost! I had someone to get "unlost" with!

I have just begun to get a little more confident with both my gears and my SPD-SL's then today disaster struck!

After riding for about 10 miles, I was going up a hill, made a mess of a gear change and couldn't keep the bike going up the hill.  In my panic I couldn't get my foot out my cleats either and before I knew it I was in a ditch with the bike on top of me.

Wils came to check I was OK before laughing at my antics saying he wished he had a video recording me!

My left side was covered in mud and initially despite saying I was OK my left knee and elbow were sore!

After this my confidence totally went and I started stressing about unclipping again!

However, very soon I had other things to worry about -  a horrific head wind that materialised from nowhere and was freezing cold!

I wasn't enjoying battling with my bike whilst trying to keep a straight line, and the memory of my recent fall was still very much in the forefront of my mind! I didn't want to do a double whammy!

To make matters worse at around 25 miles Wils got a puncture and  standing around in the freezing cold wind wasn't very enjoyable! I'm pleased it was his bike and not mine or I might have cried!

By now I just wanted the ride to be over!

Thankfully the rain held off until we were just coming into Kendal after cycling 41.5 miles! Wind and rain would have been horrendous!

You can see our route here! We managed an average speed of 13.5 MPH which I am really pleased with considering the headwind we had to battle with!

Despite the closed roads, the fall, the puncture and the horrendous winds it was a nice route!  One to do again in better conditions!

I am now waiting for the bruises to appear on my left arm and leg!




No comments:

Post a Comment