Tuesday 9 February 2016

A good swim!

Tonight I went to the pool with the intention of getting some lengths in.

My left calf has felt quite sore all day after running last night and I have been slightly worried that it is something more than just tiredness so I have decided to give it a rest from running until it feels better.  I would rather rest it now then do something major to it! Perhaps I did too much dancing in silly heels at the weekend!

So that left me with a swim workout!

I was fairly hopeful of getting a good swim in as it wasn't particularly busy when I first got in.  I opted for the slow lane and started off on my non-stop 1700 metres workout that I have been doing recently.

All was going well until I had been swimming for about 20 minutes and a middle aged lady joined our lane.  I don't mind really slow swimmers in my lane (well actually that's a lie because I do!) but this lady could barely swim!  I don't understand why she was actually in a lane and not just pootling around in the main pool as she couldn't do more than 4 strokes without holding onto the rope or hanging onto the side!

I looked towards the lifeguard with what I hope was a look of exasperation hoping he would have the common sense to tell her it wasn't appropriate for her to be swimming in a lane but he was oblivious to my frustration and therefore oblivious to the fact someone was in the deep end when they could barely swim! After following behind her for a couple of lengths I decided to brave the "fast" lane and ducked under the rope.

I felt under enormous pressure not to frustrate the really fast swimmers but felt I could justify why I had joined them!

I also had the common decency and lane etiquette to let them past at each end of the lane if they were in close proximity to me - something I wish others would do for me!

I completed my 1700 metre set I had set out to do then after 45 seconds rest I continued swimming in the fast lane until I had swum for an hour in total!

I was really pleased that despite the obstacles in my way I still swam the 1700 metres faster than I have the previous 2 times I have done this workout!

I did it in 37:45 with a SWOLF of 48, compared to 39:31 and a SWOLF of 50 so I am well chuffed with myself!  Maybe I need to push myself more by braving the fast lane! Just imagine how well I could have done without the non-swimmer blocking my way!

In total I did 2650 metres (1.65 miles) in 1 hour 6 seconds which is an average pace of 2.14 minutes per 100 metres!

By Summer I WILL be a better swimmer ready to tackle the lakes!








No comments:

Post a Comment