Monday 27 July 2015

The good times didn't last long!

I was feeling positive and confident on Thursday after my successful run but then it very quickly all went downhill!

On Thursday evening I went swimming in Lake Windermere and although it was a dry evening the lake was exceptionally choppy!  I don't know what was wrong with me but I couldn't get in the right head space to do a decent swim.  My goggles didn't help matters as they kept leaking (which they never do) - I think the waves were hitting me side on and were knocking my goggles slightly allowing water to seep in!

Anyhow, despite wanting to stop and get out I preserved and managed to swim our usual 1 mile route.  David who I swim with told me in no uncertain terms how crap I was and when I tried to defend myself by saying I was only 3 minutes slower for the mile than last week he retorted "3 minutes! Bannister ran a mile in 4!" I know he was joking but it made me feel worse!

On Friday morning I decided to go out on my bike.  The forecast said it was dry until 2pm ish so I thought I would get a good ride in without getting wet ... I was wrong because they were wrong!

Unfortunately I unintentionally picked an exceptionally hilly route which also had some very narrow cow pat laden roads to negotiate which made my speed slow!  However, despite this and getting slightly damp I enjoyed the ride and managed 24.69 miles at a disappointingly slow average speed of 12.8mph.  You can view the route here!

My calf was still feeling fine so on Saturday morning I decided to go for another gentle run following on from the success I had on Thursday!  It wasn't to be!  After about half a mile it started to niggle and gradually got worse until just before the 1 mile mark I decided it would be wise to call it a day and give up!  I walked (limped) home feeling exceptionally sad and disheartened.  Will I ever successfully run again or should I just accept defeat and take up knitting?!

On a positive note on Thursday I received my Trion-z band that I had ordered off the internet and have been wearing it consistently ever since.  Although it hasn't done anything to improve my general aches and pains (which is why I bought it!) it has improved my sleep significantly!  

I'm hoping given time it will work wonders on the rest of my body which is currently feeling exceptionally tired and old!









No comments:

Post a Comment