Tuesday 28 July 2015

Busy building an Ark ...

It has been so wet here I have even contemplated building an Ark!

Consequently due to the weather I haven't managed to get out on my bike since the recurrence of my injury on Saturday!

Tonight was my usual open water training session with the tri club!

However, I opted out! 

Why?

Well there were many factors that supported this decision ...


  1. The couple  whose house we swim from (which is on the shores of Lake Windermere) were on holiday, meaning no indoor changing facilities!
  2. It was raining torrentially!  I didn't fancy battling to get changed - in the open-air I would get soaked and cold and in the car its too cramped and uncomfortable!
  3. With the heavy rain the lake would be choppy and cold, not very appealing!
  4. With the heavy rain and low mist we wouldn't be very visible in the water to boat users even with us all wearing bright orange tow floats!  Not very safe!
  5. The deciding factor being ... with the couple we swim with being on holiday there would be no coffee and cake afterwards!  Why put myself through all that for no cake?!

So there's all my excuses out in the open and you might think with the way I have been lately that I just slobbed around on the sofa all night instead keeping dry and warm!

This was a very tempting scenario but I forced myself to go to the pool instead!

I must admit I wasn't looking forward to it as I suspected it would be full of screaming kids and teenagers, however I was pleasantly surprised!

It was relatively quiet and I just had to share a swimming lane with one other swimmer so no lane rage to contend with either!

However, after the first 8 lengths I contemplated getting out ... I just wasn't feeling it!  The pool felt warm and I felt tired and lethargic but I gave myself a good talking to and continued!

Once I got into my rhythm I entered the trance like state induced by mindlessly swimming lengths up and down and enjoyed a fairly relaxing swim!  I can never say Open Water Swimming is relaxing for me as my body is constantly on high alert for possible dangers so it was a pleasant change!

I did 2000 metres (1.24 miles or 80 lengths) in 47 minutes at an average 2.22 per 100 metres pace!

I hadn't pushed hard but had enjoyed the session and was pleased I hadn't braved the lake after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment