Wednesday 11 February 2015

Run Fit Class

Tonight I went to a runfit class for the first time.

I was under the illusion that it was mainly a stretching and conditioning class so thought it wouldn't be too energetic!  

Actually I hoped it wouldn't be too energetic as I had a Tri Club Swimming session immediately afterwards and I had reasoned I could do both!

Oh how wrong was I?!

It started off with a gentle warm up and we moved onto dynamic stretches and just as I was beginning to feel comfortable, the bomb was dropped ...

We were doing a bleep test!

I have never done a bleep test before and found it tricky!

What is a bleep test?

Bleep test
The beep test involved running continuously between two points that were 20 meters apart . This run was synchronised with a pre-recorded audio tape which played beeps at set intervals. If you got back before the beep you had to wait for the beep before setting off again, if you were too slow the test was over.  As the beep test proceeded, the interval between each successive beep reduced, forcing us to increase speed over the course of the beep test, until it is impossible to keep in sync with the recording. 

I didn't get very far through the test before the beep beat me but hopefully over the course of the class this will improve!

This class finished at 7.30pm and the swim session started at 8pm so not much recovery time!

I was exhausted for the swim.  Doing a trail Half Marathon on Sunday together with a beep test had taken it's toll on me!

However, I did manage to survive although I was one of the slower ones tonight in my lane (no surprise there then!) and swam 1950 metres -  not too shabby an effort considering how tired I felt!

We were doing sets of 400m and although I felt tired I still managed to beat my best time for this distance with my fastest set being 8.36, approximately 30 seconds faster than my previous best!

Bring it on!




No comments:

Post a Comment