Monday 26 January 2015

Lane Rage!

Tonight I went swimming during the public swimming session at my local pool.

If I wasn't so desperate to improve my swimming I wouldn't bother going as I always end up feeling like my blood pressure is soaring by the time I leave!

My main problem is I am not able to keep up with the fastest swimmers in the fast lane but I am way too fast for the slow lane which is often full of the breaststroke blue rinse brigade!

The ideal solution would be if they added an extra lane for "medium" swimmer!

One thing that particularly annoyed me this evening was a woman who joined my lane and interrupted my training session by cutting in front of me and then to top it all off swam an incredibly slow breaststroke.  

I followed behind trying not to be a "swimming pool bully" and reasoned that once she got to the end she would allow me to pass!  
Unfortunately, she appeared oblivious to the fact she had a traffic jam behind her!  It was too busy to do a swift overtaking manoeuvre so I was stuck!  My patience soon ran out and I started to tap her feet hoping she would get the hint. 

After following this woman with absolutely no lane etiquette for 4 lengths I decided enough was enough! As we both approached the end of the pool I cut back in front of her before I actually reached the end cutting short my length!  Even after doing this I still lapped her and ended up back to being stuck behind.  

This time however a couple of swift taps sent her seeking the steps and thankfully she got out! I did feel a little guilty momentarily but it soon passed!  

I had a session to complete and a goal to hit!

Another irritation is those swimmers who congregate for conversation at the shallow end, forcing you to shorten your length or fight to the lane's end. Have these people never heard of a cafe or sauna?

I think the lifeguards should police the lanes and if people are just chatting or going ridiculously slow and holding others up they should be asked to vacate the lane and swim in the general pool area!  

What difference does it make to them if people get in the way - they are going so slow anyway zigzagging in and out shouldn't be too difficult!

Rant over ... and breath!

Despite this episode of lane rage I enjoyed my session and managed 1600 metres (0.99 mile) in 39 minutes.  I try not to upset myself further by thinking about the time I would have done it in if I had my very own swimming pool!

Workout 1/6 for Week 4 of Jantastic complete!

Running tomorrow!

Bring it on!






No comments:

Post a Comment