Tuesday 29 September 2015

Peer Pressure!

Tonight I gave in to peer pressure, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience! 

For some strange reason it was decided that tonight's Tri Club Open Water swim would be a wetsuit free event!

Bearing in mind that it was our last swim of September and the water temperature is beginning to plummet I decided it was now or never and knew if I didn't go along with it I would regret it big time!

So tonight at 6.30pm I found myself shivering on the jetty dressed in just my tri suit with "must be mad" thoughts rushing through my head!

When I first got into the lake the cold took my breath away and I had to do breaststroke just to get my breathing under control!

Once my body had become accustomed to the icy cold water I started to do front crawl!

I managed my first ever wetsuit free open water swim - I didn't last long but I did it all the same!

I managed a pathetic 200 metres before I decided my body could cope with no more!

It was really strange because when I got out I felt far warmer than I usually do when I get out wearing a wet suit but then 10 minutes later the shivers set in! 

I am still feeling cold now!

I can't believe I have been Open Water swimming this year since 3rd May and I wait until the end of September to brave it without a wetsuit! 

If I had done it sooner I would have done it more!  

It was an amazing experience and one I will pursue next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment