Thursday 20 August 2015

Braving the Algae again!

Tonight I went swimming in Lake Windermere again, this time starting from Millerground with my swimming friend David armed with my bottle of coke for afterwards to kill any nasties swallowed!

After a rainy morning, I was pleased when it faired up this afternoon and actually turned out to be a fairly nice evening. 

The water was looking particularly murky, probably with the rain washing everything off the fells into it!  

We swam a little way away from the shore doing breaststroke so as not to put our heads into the very murky bit.  Once the water looked clearer we set off doing front crawl for the rest of the way.

I felt slightly stressed when I first set off but after about 100 metres I relaxed into it and forgot about being poisoned by the algae!

At the half mile point we were beginning to get slightly anxious as the Steamer seemed to be heading straight for us!  We moved closer to the shore just to be safe and I was relieved once it had passed although it made waves in the otherwise calm lake! 


I was feeling slightly despondent tonight as I seem to be getting slower rather than faster so I decided to compare my swim to my last OW swim last year!  I was amazed that in September 2014 I swam a mile in 51 minutes tonight we did 1.05 miles in 41 minutes which can be viewed here.

I am feeling much better now I realise I am actually improving!  

Maybe by 2016 I can get it down to 31 minutes!  Dream on!!!

I am pleased to report that my calf is still pain free after yesterdays run and I was very tempted to run again this morning but decided to be sensible and not overdo it too soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment