Thursday 30 April 2015

Recovery Week

I have had a busy week this week so haven't had a lot of time to fit my training in so I have decided rather than stressing about not ticking every workout on my training plan I will view this week as a recovery week and take it relatively easily after Sunday's Tri. The only concern I have with this new found philosophy is my next tri is just 2 weeks away so I really need to keep up the training if I have any hope of improving!

On Monday evening I went swimming.  I was feeling tired so the plan was just to tootle up and down the pool a few times before getting out.  However, once I got in I seemed to become re-energised and I ended up doing 5 sets of 400 metres with a 15 seconds rest inbetween. Although the pool was fairly busy everyone in my lane were all swimming front crawl at a very similar pace - there was none of the usual breaststroke brigade or Mothers meetings blocking the pool side so I really enjoyed my swim.  

Despite expecting not to do much I ended up swimming 2000 metres (1.24 miles) in 47 minutes 52 seconds.

On Tuesday evening a lad from the Tri Club had asked if I wanted to go for a trail run with him.  He had finished the Tri on Sunday about 20 seconds after me so I knew we were very similar speeds so felt fairly comfortable agreeing.  However, I also wanted to go out on my bike but as it was very cold and windy I decided to take the safe option and went to the gym to go on the Watt Bike prior to running.  I managed 10 miles in 32 minutes at an average 18.5 mph so by the time I set off on the run my legs were feeling a little shaky!  I decided to give my new Hoka Stinson trail shoes another outing! We kept the pace slow as I was experimenting with new shoes and I managed without too much difficulty!  I am still getting used to them and will reserve judgement until I have done more miles!


I was pleased I wasn't alone as we had to go though a herd of cows who were all crowded around the gate!  I felt braver having a man with me clearing the way!  If I had been alone I would have made a 3 mile detour to avoid them!  

We ran 6.31 slow miles in 1 hour 10 mins but we did spend a lot of time going over stiles, taking photos of me running in my Hokas and negotiating cows!

On Wednesday I had a very long busy day at work so I didn't have time, energy or inclination to exercise!

As I had a rest day yesterday I was determined to fit a short run into my busy schedule today! 

As soon as I got home from work I changed into my running gear and went for a short run!  It was a very warm but windy evening so it wasn't very pleasant conditions to run in!  However, I managed 3.65 miles at an average 9.06 minute mile pace.  I just had enough time for a quick shower before I went to an information evening organised by the tri club about bikes and cycling!  I found it very interesting and we covered everything from saddles, to bike size, gears, cadence, speed, braking, cornering, descending and ascending hills! I'm not sure whether it will make me any faster but its good to know how things are supposed to be done!





No comments:

Post a Comment