Wednesday 25 March 2015

Out with the tonsils, in with the Garmin!

What a day! 

I have had a day full of mixed emotions!

My daughter has spent the day in Lancaster Hospital having a Tonsillectomy! Despite being 19 and at Uni I felt like she became my little girl again today and needed looked after!

However, whilst this drama was going on Garmin kindly delivered my new Garmin 920XT!  I was ridiculously excited when I opened the package to see my new toy staring back at me! 




When I first started running I got the Garmin Forerunner 110 which introduced me to the world of stats! I loved the simplicity of this watch and it gave me all the information I needed and more!


Image result for garmin forerunner 910 xtThen I was introduced to the Triathlon world and I soon realised I needed to upgrade to a watch that would track my swims as well as my runs and rides.

After much comparison and speculation I invested in a Garmin Forerunner 910XT! Despite this being much more complex to operate I soon got the hang of it and it became my new best friend enabling me to log multi sport activities and open water swims!

When I  got the opportunity to try the next model up, the Garmin Forerunner 920XT I wasn't expecting it to be much different! 

After "playing" with it today I can already see many new features and I am sure I will discover many more in the days ahead!

I was taken totally unawares when I got a text message on my I-phone and it popped up on the Gamin's screen too!  

I had no idea it did this!  I can see this being very useful as I often get texts whilst I am out running or cycling and although I usually ignore them until I get home I always feel anxious in case I am ignoring an emergency situation! At least now I will be able to ignore them with peace of mind!

As a female with very slight wrists I always felt the 910XT was too bulky on my wrist although I believed it was the necessary evil in order to have a sports watch that did it all! 

However, the 920XT model feels much lighter and is considerably more slimline and female friendly! It feels comfortable on my wrist despite it needing to be on the tightest it will go to fit my puny wrists!!  

The charger appears to be much more robust and secure when attached! The buttons are also so much smoother and easier to operate and so far the instructions have been easy to follow for a non-techie person!

I had a burning desire to go for a run to put my new Garmin through its paces, so leaving my daughter in my husbands capable hands I went for a run to run off the stresses of the day and to play with my new toy!  

One feature I have discovered is the tracking device! 

My husband and daughter enjoyed being able to track my progress on the PC!  I'm not sure I'm going to like them knowing my every move in future though!! It also gave my daughter the heads up that I was on my way back so she could claim the shower just before I did!  This feature seems to be a positive one for my family ... not sure I'm going to embrace it though!

I really enjoyed my run with my new Garmin despite it having a pace alert set on it which started to get on my nerves after a while! I will have to have a tinker to try and switch this off so it doesn't continuously yell at me to run faster!  

I had a problem at the end of my run stopping and saving the activity so I have ended up with 3 splits in my stats when I am at home and not moving!  I am not sure what I was doing wrong but hopefully I will suss it out for next time!

I love the fact it automatically uploads to Garmin Connect without any hassle whatsoever!  For this maiden run I did 4.07 miles at an average 8.47 minute mile pace!  You can view my run here on Garmin Connect.

I wore the Heart Rate Monitor for my run, but wasn't very impressed when the Garmin told me after the run that I needed 72 hours to recover before exercising again! I don't do resting!

I can't wait to go to bed tonight to test out the sleep function!

There are so many more features for me to explore and I can't wait to investigate further!

It's early days but my initial thoughts are I LOVE IT!

Watch this space for more updates as I discover more!  

Warning! 

I am going to turn into a gadget bore!






No comments:

Post a Comment