Tuesday 3 November 2015

Cold, dark and foggy!

Tonight I went out in the cold, the dark and the fog!

 If I was going for a run I would think this was pretty acceptable, however tonight I went for a swim in Lake Windermere!  

What is normal about that?!

David, my swimming friend keeps convincing me to go for "one more swim" before I retire my wetsuit for the Winter!  

Amazingly it is not the cold that gets to me but the dark!  

Tonight it was so so so dark, with a little fog lingering over the only lights in the distance I wasn't sure I could survive!

For the first 25m or so I felt totally stressed!  I ket my beady eye on David's blue light on the back of his goggles and was determined to keep up with him!  I wasn't going to be left alone tonight!

Before getting in David had given me a little pep talk about there being a lot of leaves and twigs etc in the lake at the moment due to the recent weather so if I swum into something or something touched my face I was not to panic!

That is very easily said ... not so easily done!

It was pitch black and I was just praying it was in fact just leaves and twigs surrounding me!

Amazingly by the time we were heading back to the boathouse (which was lit so we could see the way!) my eyes had adjusted and it didn't seem quite so dark or quite so scary!

My first Open Water Swim this year was the 3rd May, so I am feeling very proud that I can say I have swum Open Water for 6 months now - only 6 months to go before I am REALLY hard core - or insane I'm not sure which!




No comments:

Post a Comment