Thursday 9 July 2015

My 1st Cross Lake Swim!

What an adventure!

Tonight I am feeling exceptionally chuffed with my little self as I did my first ever cross Lake Windermere Swim - and it was in exceptionally rough waters!

Before swimming, I also had to brave my very first kayaking journey!  Luckily I wasn't paddling or it might have been a very different story!

I met my swimming friend David, who had brought along his kayaking friend to support us in our swim.

David was swimming there and back, but with this being my first cross lake adventure I decided just to do the return leg!  I was slightly anxious about freaking out in the middle of the lake!

However, sitting in the front of a kayak with choppy water and strong winds wasn't the easy ride I was expecting!  I was soaking wet and freezing by the time we got across, after being constantly slapped in the face by waves!! I was surprised the kayak didn't sink as it had so much water in the bottom of it!  I was even thinking swimming both ways would have been the wise move!

Anyhow, believe it or not I was so cold that actually getting into the lake and swimming warmed me up!


I tried to remain calm as the waves tossed me around like a rag doll but it was comforting to see the kayak every time I breathed to my right!


Altogether I swam 0.89 mile in 30 minutes, so not a great distance but a big challenge to me going across the lake! Next time I will attempt to swim there and back - the things I will do to avoid another kayak ride!

You can view my swim here!

I really feel as if I have accomplished something this evening!

I might not be able to run or cycle at the moment but at least I can still swim!





No comments:

Post a Comment